[OTDev] Antwort: Re: Protege - XML file from other sources

Sylvia.Escher at item.fraunhofer.de Sylvia.Escher at item.fraunhofer.de
Wed Feb 24 15:52:40 CET 2010

Dear Nina, dear Christoph,

this not really clear for me, probably because I'm not an expert in file
formats/porgramming. The owl file from protege can be stored as XML.
However, this can not be read by ACCESS although ACCESS can read normal
XML-files.Therefore we would like to do an XML file first.

The ontology is the defintion of an hierachical relationship between
organs/descriptors etc. Why do we need to do this with the owl format and
could not do it in  XML format?

As long as none can explain this to me, I would prefer the XML file.
Christoph, can you probably give me an explanation? Perhaps it easier in
german than in english.

Kind regards, Sylvia

Dr. Sylvia Escher
Group Manager Structure Activity Relationships
Chemical Risk Assessment
Fraunhofer Institute of Toxicology and Experimental Medicine (ITEM)
Nikolai-Fuchs-Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Tel: +49 511 5350-330, Fax: +49 511 5350-335
mailto:Sylvia.Escher at item.fraunhofer.de
www.item.fraunhofer.de

Nina Jeliazkova <nina at acad.bg>
Gesendet von: development-bounces at opentox.org
24.02.2010 15:06
Bitte antworten an
jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com; Bitte antworten an

An
iva at lml.bas.bg, opentox development mailing list <development at opentox.org>
Kopie
Sylvia.Escher at item.fraunhofer.de, olga.tcheremenskaia at iss.it
Thema
Re: [OTDev] Protege - XML file from other sources

Dear Sylvia,

RDF and OWL purpose is not to be directly imported into a relational
database, like MS Access,  there are different systems for RDF triple
storage.  It is completely normal and expected you can't import it into
MS Access.
If you develop it into another format, it will not be an ontology and
not possible to use in OpenTox services.

Ivelina Nikolova wrote:
> Dear Sylvia,
>
> may you send me the problematic file, so that I can try
> elaborating on where  the problem comes from.
>
> Ivelina
>

> Sylvia.Escher at item.fraunhofer.de wrote:
>
>> Dear Ivelina,
>>
>> thank you for your help. I think in one OPENTOX telco, we decided to
use
>> Protege and the owl file format/RD files format to describe an ontology

>> like the organ ontology that we are developing.
>>
>> so we are currently working with that programme and I do not see that
it
>> is already a ready to use application. We would e.g. like to load the
>> Protege file in XML.format  into the ACCESS database RepDose as well.
>> Normally ACCESS can read XML format but fails to read the Protege file.
>>
>> Thus, I would like to know whether it would be a problem, if we simply
>> create an XML file for the ontology, for which we do not use Protege?
If