[OTDev] Antwort: Re: Protege - XML file from other sources

Nina Jeliazkova nina at acad.bg
Wed Feb 24 16:13:05 CET 2010

Sylvia.Escher at item.fraunhofer.de wrote:
> Dear Nina, dear Christoph,
>
> this not really clear for me, probably because I'm not an expert in file
> formats/porgramming. The owl file from protege can be stored as XML.
> However, this can not be read by ACCESS although ACCESS can read normal
> XML-files.Therefore we would like to do an XML file first.
>
> The ontology is the defintion of an hierachical relationship between
> organs/descriptors etc. Why do we need to do this with the owl format and
> could not do it in  XML format?

Besides hierarchical relationships, there is more for an ontology
definitions - relationships between objects, specified by RDF
properties.  This is not possible to introduce in XML files.

We decided to work with RDF triples, because it is a W3C standard for
describing data and can allow reasoning , querying and merging data from
different sources.

BTW, are there any plans to expose RepDose as an OpenTox service and
allow to use in OpenTox models?