[OTDev] Task history

Nina Jeliazkova nina at acad.bg
Fri Feb 26 10:31:01 CET 2010

surajit ray wrote:
> Hi Nina,
>
> Should we not have some sort of task history parameter/value in the Task
> API. Otherwise in cases where there are multiple steps to a single a task -
> the user may not be able to see which step is failing .... or why...

Well, the Task object was assumed to encapsulate an atomic job, which
does not consist of steps.   With the current redirection API , it is
quite easily to achieve series of tasks in a transparrent manner.  Asan
example, this is how currently TUM algorithm and model services work
1) A dataset URI is posted to the Model service
2) It returns Task URI at TUM service
3) The TUM Model service runs the calculations, and posts the results
into IDEA dataset service.  When querying TUM Task service for the Task
URI from step2, it redirects (303) to IDEA Task service and  it returns
a new Task URI on IDEA server.
4) Subsequent GETs on IDEA Task URI service will return OK 200 if the
results are stored into the database.

This is a very elegant approach of automatic workflow by using HTTP
redirects and is not restricted to tasks on a single server.   Most
interesting part is we have not designed it intentionally, it just
happened by using REST style and proper HTTP codes.

We should strive to keep things as simple as possible.  TUM group might
be also willing to share their experience of arranging workflows arount
OpenTox services.