[OTDev] Update Auth&Auth

Luchesar V. ILIEV luchesar.iliev at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 15:18:07 CET 2010

To be honest, I'm a bit worried about the power of these tokens. Sure,
this gives them great flexibility and makes using them really easy.
But consider this: each service that is presented with such token (in
order to authorise the specific action requested) will, essentially,
have (read-only) access to all the user's data/attributes, _including_
their password.

Yes, it's just the hash of the password, but this already creates a
possibility for at least a brute-force attack on it, not to mention
the inherent flaws in some implementations -- even the venerable SHA1
algorithm is considered unsafe today, and MD5 (which is still used
surprisingly widely) could only bring a smile on the face of a
determined and well-equipped hacker.

For this reason, I'd like to stress once more how very important it is
to keep the user tokens safe from prying eyes -- or from being
unintentionally leaked. This holds true not just for the network
transit, where SSL/TLS will obviously be a must, but also for the
services themselves in how the handle the tokens.

Cheers,
Luchesar