[OTDev] Update Auth&Auth

surajit ray mr.surajit.ray at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 16:30:06 CET 2010

Hi Andreas,

In the scenario that a user action (authenticated by OpenSSO using token) is
carried out by a web server within the OpenTox framework ... would the web
server accessing a secondary server, within OpenTox, use the same user token
OR have a separate authentication token/mechanism for conversations between
these servers (registered within the OpenTox framework ) ?

The issue is with asynchronous tasks - once a task is started it will go
through a series of steps involving other servers. For such a task if we are
using the user token for backend authentication - the task may fail ...
since the token will be invalidated after a time perdiod (I sure hope it
does !). In that scenario isn't it better to have a separate authentication
for server chat ?

At this juncture - would like to know which is the bigger priority ....

a) protecting semi-opensource/commercial data available through Opentox
b) protecting the service delivery servers from DOS attacks etc
c) protecting generated client data from other clients

Honestly I don't mind an airtight security framework -  but given the
"opensource" nature of this project , a convoluted and cumbersome security
mechanism will hinder participation to a great extent ...

Also in the case of a centralized user authentication system, we would have
to make sure we have a backup plan in case the main AA server fails -
otherwise all services may have to halted across all OpenTox servers.

Cheers
Surajit

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Luchesar V. ILIEV <luchesar.iliev at gmail.com

Surajit Ray