[OTDev] A&A Test Drive / API Integration proposal

Andreas Maunz andreas at maunz.de
Sat May 1 12:27:46 CEST 2010

Dear all,

the Authentication and Authorization (A&A) infrastructure, as described
here:
http://opentox.org/data/documents/development/Authentication%20and%20Authorization
is now completely integrated with Plone user management (i.e. users and
groups are available in OpenSSO).

As indicated in the documentation, (a) authentication against OpenSSO
should be done by the client application, while (b) authorization tasks
against OpenSSO for ressource and action combinations are done by the
server.
Consequently, we would need API extensions to support these operations.

For (a), we need to transmit user credentials and obtain a token, while
part (b) requires
1. client authorization request to the webservice,
2. authorization request confirmation from webservice to OpenSSO.

Operations (a) and (b2) are easily integrated based on the existing
documentation (see above), while existing API methods must be extended
by a token field in the query string to support (b1), and corresponding
return code to the client (i.e. "Access Denied" if authorization failed).
Call for proposals: any ideas from the other developers how this could
be implemented by extending the API?

Once a proposal is agreed upon, we could test-drive the
OpenSSO/Plone-based installation. This should include
- management of policies via the documented REST interface
- a complete workflow, e.g. for restricted datasets in the ToxCreate /
ToxPredict prototypes.

Currently not handled are privileges, i.e. who is allowed to create,
modify, and delete policies. The most generic approach would be to
re-use the existing Plone users and groups for this, but I would like to
postpone this until after testing.

Best regards
Andreas