[OTDev] Fighting ALS disease, we can make a difference

Barry Hardy barry.hardy at douglasconnect.com
Tue May 4 16:22:51 CEST 2010

Dear All:

I have known Nell since 1982 and have climbed steep rock faces and
descended through deep caves with her. Last Spring Nell was diagnosed
with ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) and the disease is quickly
progressing to take away control of her arms and legs.  Although she now
has to get ready in the morning using just her right arm, she still
makes it into work to help advise and support students every day. In the
months to come she will gradually lose control of all the voluntary
muscles in her body and her speech will deteriorate as the motor neurons
in her nervous system degenerate relentlessly. She will most likely die
a difficult and painful death within a couple of years.

ALS is poorly understood and currently has no cure or effective drug or
treatment - so funds and research of this neglected disease are sorely
needed.

Although Nell may never climb a 5.10 with me again, she will attempt a 5
km walk in New York City on May 15, and knowing her determination, I
wager she will finish it!  Her walk is to help aid fundraising for the
ALS Association to support their efforts in progressing solutions to
this challenge.

Please consider making a donation to support Nell and her team's walk in
fundraising against the ALS disease. You can make your donation through
the following link:
http://web.alsa.org/site/TR/Walks/GreaterNewYorkWalk?px=2690007&pg=personal&fr_id=6418

Every contribution however small counts and is appreciated!

Barry