[OTDev] List of all resources and authentication

Nina Jeliazkova nina at acad.bg
Fri Jun 18 14:07:10 CEST 2010

chung wrote:
> Hi Nina, All,
>
> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 13:42 +0300, Nina Jeliazkova wrote:
>
>> Hi Pantelis, All,
>>
>> chung wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Nina,
>>>   I think it would be both more efficient for the server (because it
>>> would provide shorter representations) and for the client (to be able to
>>> view only the resources to which it has access) if the services return
>>> only a URI list of resources at which the client has access. Otherwise
>>> the services would have to return very long lists of URIs or even RDF
>>> documents.
>>>

>> IMHO this is better handled by adopting a search functionality -
>> e.g.retrieve only objects which comply to certain criteria (user or
>> group ownership) and should be independent of AA.
>> I am kind of reluctant to the idea of duplicating resource - users
>> relationships in services, for the obvious reason one can issue OpenSSO
>> call to change this relationship, without ever informing the service.
>> Then the service will have outdated information, which will be difficult
>> to synchronize.
>>

> Well, this is why the services should not store user-related information
> hence there is no way to provide such lookup services. How can the
> service tell which are the models owned by 'Nina' if there is no Nina in
> the Database of the service?

Would be good if Andreas can find a way to perform such queries via
OpenSSO.

Another idea is to have separate service(s) for storing users' favorites
/ bookmarks  - this could establish user- resource relationships without
pretending these to be "ownership"-like.

Something like del.icio.us for models, algorithms, compounds , datasets,
etc.    In principle, the Ontology service can be used for this as well,
if we introduce such "bookmark" property in opentox.owl
>> >From OpenSSO side , I am afraid there is no easy way to retrieve list of
>> objects of particular type that "belongs" to particular user - Andreas
>> am I right?
>>
>>>   However if we decide to return the complete list I think it would be
>>> good practice if clients requested only URI lists and not RDFs for the
>>> sake of shorter representations. Recall that RDF representations contain
>>> all information about the underlying resources, for example if you ask
>>> for an RDF/XML representation of all model you can see every model's
>>> independent and dependent variables etc.
>>>

>> It will be valid to have subset of RDF representation, e.g. when
>> retrieving datasets , only metadata is retrieved, not all compounds and
>> properties. Same could be done for models.
>>

> Is there any kind of information in the representation of a model which
> should be hidden/protected? I think the model representations as they
> are now do not have anything about the model itself such as its
> equation, coefficients etc...

No, but you have this in PMML / TEXT representation .  I would say the
current model API is a bit inconsistent, since RDF is actually a
metadata of the model, not the model itself.
It might be reasonable to introduce additional URIs to retrieve model
content, where applicable, e.g.  /model/1 retrieves metadata, but
/model/1/content retrieves the model itself.