[OTDev] A&A: precautions against pre-registering resources

Nina Jeliazkova nina at acad.bg
Mon Jun 28 21:53:33 CEST 2010

Luchesar V. ILIEV wrote:
> Come to think of this, why do we really need that "callback" test? I
> mean: we do expect only services to create policies, right? And only
> policies for "their" own resources, right?
>
> Which means that when a certain service requests to have a policy
> created for, e.g.
>
> http://serviceA.opentox.org/dataset/B
>
> then the policy SHOULD come from an IP address corresponding to the
> serviceA.opentox.org DNS name -- am I wrong in this assumption?
> Because, if the assumption is correct, then, bar any IP/DNS spoofing
> attempts, we could use only this simple check: whether the DNS name of
> the request corresponds to the URL that is requested to be protected.

Simple and effective - I would vote for this solution.

Nina
> In other words, if the service gets a request for the resource above
> from an address, which reverse-resolves to, say, badguy.aol.com, then
> the policy service will reject the request straight away.
>
> Cheers,
> Luchesar
>
> P.S. Once SSL/TLS enters, it actually becomes even more hack-proof.
> Yes, DNS poisoning and IP spoofing are not unheard of, but if you
> actually require also _client_ certificate for any connections to the
> policy service (as opposed to OpenSSO, where this would make the
> things more complex for the users), then you could actually check the
> DNS name from that certificate. Again, it must correspond to the DNS
> name of the URL in the policy creation request. Seems simple and
> effective. Probably too simple, though, so I'm counting on you to
> catch if I'm missing something important.
>

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 22:08, Nina Jeliazkova <nina at acad.bg> wrote:
>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> Unless we invent specific query parameter/media type for the
>> "reachability test" , this could be quite inefficient.   For example, if
>> one happens to try to GET /dataset/{id} ,  for a large dataset , and
>> ignore the results , this will be a waste of resources (server, network
>> and perhaps client's ).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Nina
>>
>> chung wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Andreas,
>>>   Is it possible to allow just web services to create policies prior to
>>> resource's actual creation? [I mean
>>> using some token of theirs identifying them as web services and not
>>> using other users' tokens]
>>> If one attempts a DOS attack you can just disable the attacker's account
>>> or if one creates policies in an
>>> unexpectedly large frequency you can block the account for some time. It
>>> would be more convenient if
>>> we removed such a restriction.
>>>
>>> Note: This is not an objection, it would be just easier to me to go
>>> without this restriction.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Pantelis

---------------------------------
Dr. Nina Jeliazkova
Technical Manager
IdeaConsult Ltd.
1000 Sofia, Bulgaria
Tel: +359 886 802011
ICQ: 10705013
www: http://ambit.sourceforge.net
PGP Public Key
http://cert.acad.bg/pgp-keys/keys/nina-nikolova-0xEEABA669.asc
	8E99 8BAD D804 1A43 27B7  7F87 CF04 C7D1 EEAB A669