[OTDev] A&A: precautions against pre-registering resources

Luchesar V. ILIEV luchesar.iliev at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 21:27:03 CEST 2010

Come to think of this, why do we really need that "callback" test? I
mean: we do expect only services to create policies, right? And only
policies for "their" own resources, right?

Which means that when a certain service requests to have a policy
created for, e.g.

http://serviceA.opentox.org/dataset/B

then the policy SHOULD come from an IP address corresponding to the
serviceA.opentox.org DNS name -- am I wrong in this assumption?
Because, if the assumption is correct, then, bar any IP/DNS spoofing
attempts, we could use only this simple check: whether the DNS name of
the request corresponds to the URL that is requested to be protected.

In other words, if the service gets a request for the resource above
from an address, which reverse-resolves to, say, badguy.aol.com, then
the policy service will reject the request straight away.

Cheers,
Luchesar

P.S. Once SSL/TLS enters, it actually becomes even more hack-proof.
Yes, DNS poisoning and IP spoofing are not unheard of, but if you
actually require also _client_ certificate for any connections to the
policy service (as opposed to OpenSSO, where this would make the
things more complex for the users), then you could actually check the
DNS name from that certificate. Again, it must correspond to the DNS
name of the URL in the policy creation request. Seems simple and
effective. Probably too simple, though, so I'm counting on you to
catch if I'm missing something important.