[OTDev] Classified + Urgent

surajit ray mr.surajit.ray at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 13:31:19 CEST 2010

On 13 July 2010 16:46, Nina Jeliazkova <jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 2:03 PM, surajit ray <mr.surajit.ray at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi Nina,
> >
> > I have know that - but I would like upload and use a single compound and
> > not
> >

> A file with a single compound is still considered a dataset.

why should it be implemented like that ? seems like overkill to "fit things
in"

> > a full dataset. Does every compound have to have a parent dataset ?
>

> Could have many - or none.   Ambit services use datasets to keep track
> where
> compounds are coming from.

Yeah I am interested in the "none' condition. How do I upload one compound
to a location and use it - without going into making a dataset ?

> On the other hand,  you could always search if your compound is already
> available and just reuse its URI.

Thats a possibility. Is there a search for lets say a smiles that I have ?
Meaning given my smiles can I search the datasets to reach my target URI for
the compound ?

> > If so is
> > there a "other" or "miscellaneous" dataset where I can upload single
> > compounds.
> >

> Any new file POSTed to the dataset service will create a new dataset , only
> if you PUT the dataset to existing dataset URI a new one will be created.
> Partners have already created more than thousands datasets.

That part was unclear - do you mean that "put"ing in an existing dataset
will create a new compound URI ?

> Examples as pointed in the previous email.
>

> > Also would appreciate an HTML interface (form) for upload (with a Restlet
> > do the RDF call on the backend).
>

> There is an HTML form for file upload  here
>
> http://ambit.uni-plovdiv.bg:8080/ambit2/dataset

Doesn't work at this point ....

> > Is one available (for ready use OR
> > package/class for integrating in our framework) ? Although personally I
> can
> > use curl commands to upload - I did not find any of the people I asked to
> > test, interested in doing it via this method.
> >

> Recall we are building services and applications as separate entities, not
> single web application ; this gives flexibility to build as many web
> applications as one would like.
>
> curl and API in general are useful to use opentox services as building
> blocks for applications and integrating services into other applications;
> ToxPredict and ToxCreate are examples of end-user applications with web
> interface ; you might try to develop web front end for uploading compounds
> or any other functionality you think is necessary.

All things said it would really be useful to have "One HTML Form" somewhere
on the opentox site or ambit where a user can upload a compound via HTML
form. The reason is there will be use cases other than the two you mention
and each of them will have to develop a separate mechanism to upload
compounds to a common place. I think its better we have one place where we
can upload compounds independent of use case and in an easily usable manner
(like an HTML form). IHMO this makes more sense for the developers who can
direct the end-user to first upload the compound and then continue using the
use-case wit the URI.

Surajit Ray
Partner
www.rareindianart.com