[OTDev] Some questions on REST/interoperability

Ola Spjuth ola.spjuth at farmbio.uu.se
Thu Aug 26 11:35:07 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am investigating OpenTox on behalf of the Bioclipse project (http://www.bioclipse.net). Egon Willighagen has already created means in Bioclipse to query and retrieve data using a REST interface, I wish to ask more about models and predictions.

I (together with collaborators) have developed some predictive models based on public toxicity data, and wish to investigate possible interoperability with the OpenTox community in terms of publishing and using models. We try to run as much as possible offline; is it possible to download and run OpenTox models offline or is it mandatory to go via a REST interface? Do people share models (e.g. as war archives) so others can deploy them locally (or mirror them)? I am also interested in the feasibility of bundling existing OpenTox datasets and predictive models as OSGi services in addition to REST services.

Is there a simple tutorial for how to consume an OpenTox service to predict an endpoint for a single chemical structure? In true REST manner, can a simple URL accomplish this (I could not find any examples on the website)? Is there a reference Java implementations for consuming OpenTox REST services, especially predicting endpoints for chemical structures?

I am impressed with the OpenTox project, it seems like a well designed project! However, it is a cumbersome process to get up to speed with the current status/design so forgive me if my questions are trivial or already answered on the web page.

Best regards,

/Ola

--
Ola Spjuth, PhD
Department of Pharmaceutical Biosciences

Email: ola.spjuth at farmbio.uu.se
Web: http://www.farmbio.uu.se

Bioclipse: http://www.bioclipse.net