[OTDev] Some questions on REST/interoperability

Nina Jeliazkova jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 19:21:11 CEST 2010

Ola,

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 7:58 PM, Ola Spjuth <ola.spjuth at farmbio.uu.se>wrote:

> Nina,
>
> Thanks for your feedback. Yes, we can run a local application server, that
> should not be a problem. If the war is all we need to deploy then it should
> not be too difficult. Is the requirement for MySQL hardcoded or is it easy
> to switch to e.g. HSQLDB?

It's hardcoded, sorry.  Not sure how easy is to switch all of the
functionality, because of some MySQL specifics as bitsets.  Some time ago
there was a request to support Oracle, but this was not explored because of
lack of resources. If anybody is interested to introduce HSQLDB /other DB
support, would be nice to join efforts.

> Do you use any object-relational mapping?

No (for performance reasons).  JDBC resultsets are iterated over and
serialized in the requested mime type.

> Is it easy to turn on/off different components (for example if we would
> like to start with just supporting predictions)?

All services will be on, but no problem to use predictions only.

> It would be nice if we could deploy our own OpenTox reference application
> (if I understand things correctly this is what Ambit is)

Ambit is a project older than OpenTox, which has a Swing standalone
applicationinitially (AmbitXT for download),  with functionality similar to
Bioclipse, but with a MySQL backend.  It was extended during OpenTox to
expose all its functionality (and more) as OpenTox REST services.

Other OpenTox partners have their own implementation of (subsets) of
services , in Java and Ruby as well.

> as a war, and package our own models as additional wars (according to some
> spec). Is this the intention to build? If so, what is the extension
> mechanism for this? Is there any documentation for how such plugins are
> structured? We are building something similar based on the OSGi component
> model and the Eclipse framework, but it would be great if we also could
> deploy our models as OpenTox services.

Extensions are not something that is supported at the moment, but ambit code
is maven based and dependencies are quite well separated.  We can discuss
further what's the best way towards an extension mechanism.  For example
Toxtree loads plugins via Java classloader, but this is not currently used
in the rest services.  Separate wars will result in separate applications,
while if different services are packaged as jars, this could be the same
application.

--

Dr. Nina Jeliazkova
Technical Manager