[OTDev] Techie Table

chung chvng at mail.ntua.gr
Mon Sep 6 17:22:04 CEST 2010

Hello All,
   I'm sending out some notes/thoughts about the Techie Table

@All:
   I'm thinking of organizing the discussion and presentation in two
parts. In the first we are going to show how a developer can consume
OpenTox web services from inside a Java application using some tools of
ours. This will include some A&A also. Using web clients and parsers,
the participants will download and parse OpenTox resources such as
compounds, features, datasets and models and inspect them from within
their Java application. Exercises will include parsing of datasets and
conversion into weka data objects (Instances), training of various
models using NTUA, TUM and AMBIT algorithms (where necessary using also
the A&A API). So this will familiarize the participants with the direct
consumption of OT web services on a more advanced level than  using web
interfaces and a more programmatic way than using plain curl. This will
take about 45 minutes including discussion/questions.
   In the second part, I'm thinking of having the audience building an
OpenTox web service with some guidance. We will design and deploy a
clustering algorithm for the sake of getting in touch with web services
and having a better insight into the OpenTox API. First we will study
the requirements of the OT API and will formulate hypothetical curl
commands for how a request would look like (In a top-down approach).
Then we will proceed formulating an RDF representation of the algorithm
discussing at the same time about the structure of such a document and
the information that should be found therein. Jena will be used as an
RDF editor/parser, which will be quite useful to developers that want to
get involved into any contemporary project (web semantics etc). We will
not get into much detail as far as the storing of models is concerned
but briefly we'll present the underlying database tables structure. Weka
will be used to materialize the XMeans algorithm. The whole effort will
boil down to just about 500 lines of source code including the use of
various Java libraries such as Restlet, Weka, Jena and DeciBell.  This
will take about 75' and the rest of the time we will discuss about
various challenges a developer can take.

  I'll be sending you a list of what should a participant have installed
by the end of the day. If any participants experience problems
installing any of the libraries/tools/programs in the list, we'll do it
together on the table.

Best regards,
Pantelis