[OTDev] Techie Table

Tobias Girschick tobias.girschick at in.tum.de
Tue Sep 7 09:00:29 CEST 2010

Hi Pantelis,

first of all, I like the partitioning into two parts. In the first part
participants can get a feeling for the OT API and in the second they can
make use of it.
Overall I guess your time estimates are very (very) optimistic. You have
to keep in mind, that we don't know the exact programming skills of the
participants and that that haven't worked with our - still not
sufficiently documented - API at all.

best regards,
Tobias

On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 18:22 +0300, chung wrote:
> Hello All,
>    I'm sending out some notes/thoughts about the Techie Table
>
> @All:
>    I'm thinking of organizing the discussion and presentation in two
> parts. In the first we are going to show how a developer can consume
> OpenTox web services from inside a Java application using some tools of
> ours. This will include some A&A also. Using web clients and parsers,
> the participants will download and parse OpenTox resources such as
> compounds, features, datasets and models and inspect them from within
> their Java application. Exercises will include parsing of datasets and
> conversion into weka data objects (Instances), training of various
> models using NTUA, TUM and AMBIT algorithms (where necessary using also
> the A&A API). So this will familiarize the participants with the direct
> consumption of OT web services on a more advanced level than  using web
> interfaces and a more programmatic way than using plain curl. This will
> take about 45 minutes including discussion/questions.
>    In the second part, I'm thinking of having the audience building an
> OpenTox web service with some guidance. We will design and deploy a
> clustering algorithm for the sake of getting in touch with web services
> and having a better insight into the OpenTox API. First we will study
> the requirements of the OT API and will formulate hypothetical curl
> commands for how a request would look like (In a top-down approach).
> Then we will proceed formulating an RDF representation of the algorithm
> discussing at the same time about the structure of such a document and
> the information that should be found therein. Jena will be used as an
> RDF editor/parser, which will be quite useful to developers that want to
> get involved into any contemporary project (web semantics etc). We will
> not get into much detail as far as the storing of models is concerned
> but briefly we'll present the underlying database tables structure. Weka
> will be used to materialize the XMeans algorithm. The whole effort will
> boil down to just about 500 lines of source code including the use of
> various Java libraries such as Restlet, Weka, Jena and DeciBell.  This
> will take about 75' and the rest of the time we will discuss about
> various challenges a developer can take.
>
>   I'll be sending you a list of what should a participant have installed
> by the end of the day. If any participants experience problems
> installing any of the libraries/tools/programs in the list, we'll do it
> together on the table.
>
> Best regards,
> Pantelis

Dipl.-Bioinf. Tobias Girschick