[OTDev] [quixote-qcdb] Re: [BlueObelisk-discuss] Quixote project for computational chemistry and future possibilities for Blue Obelisk

Barry Hardy barry.hardy at douglasconnect.com
Tue Oct 26 20:05:50 CEST 2010

Hi Peter (and new Quixote project coworkers):
Good to hear from you Peter and to connect with you again, after a too
long gap of some years :)! If only I still had our scribbled-on lunch
napkins from 1995, all would be clear :)!

I also think there is a great current opportunity to connect some of
your work, CML, CDK, Blue Obelisk initiatives, Bioclipse etc. with the
new OpenTox initiative and we have the possibilities to make "quite
startling progress" in coming months.  But we must also critically link
OpenTox with pathways, systems biology and bioinformatics too, at least
for supporting the growing integrated service and anaylsis needs of
advancing the field of predictive toxicology.

The questions we have to answer and whose answering we need to support
go something along the lines of
(http://opentox.org/home/documents/presentations/pathprot3presoct2010/view)
:

/What are the directions for Integrated Analysis in Predictive
Toxicology that extend current strategies, methods and infrastructure to
better include development and support of a combination of statistical,
mechanistic and pathways based approaches to optimise progress in the
quality and acceptance of alternative testing methods?

How do we best leverage current knowledge and methods with regards to
biological pathway analysis to design improved approaches to predictive
toxicology that increase our ability to characterise the potential of
chemicals to cause adverse human health effects and including an
understanding of mode of action, mechanisms involved in the mode of
action and the interaction of biological entities, pathways and networks
in the perturbations introduced by the chemicals?/

/...and what variables need to be included in the interoperable service
support design?/: Many including -
Contexts for: A. Pathway Known B. Pathway Unknown and Rational
Hypothesis is formed C.Pathway Unknown and no Rational Hypothesis
currently formed
and
Variables for:
- Most generally - any relevant interacting influencing variable in the
complete environment of the planet
- Chemicals, genes, proteins, modifications to any of previous,
metabolites (and their interactions)
- Species, Sex, Age, Diet, Organ(s) & Systems Interactions, Drugs,
Genetics, Healthcare record, In vitro vs in vivo covariables
- Organ, Organelle, Tissue, Cell -- Cell Combinations, Metabolism, Cell
(Type, differentiation), Sub cellular compartments e.g., mitochondria,
Concentration, Time, Dosage (amount, frequency), Route of
Administration, Reversibility of Toxicity effects, System interactions
(local, non-local) .....other factors:)....

So we really have a Grand Interoperability Challenge almost demanding
the benefits of a consensus-based Open & Public
Standards/Ontology/Dictionary/Source/Data/Access approaches.  (All the
good stuff Peter has been driving for in cheminfo for many years!!)

We ("OpenTox & Partners") are organising some workshop activity near
Cambridge at EBI 15-17 November to discuss interoperability, data
exchange standards, public ontologies, and a collaborative ontology
development roadmap for the field of predictive toxicology.  In addition
to good science & engineering, there is also an increasingly strong
business case driver, so we also have the collaboration and involvement
of the EBI Industry Forum and Pistoia Alliance.  We will also
communicate outcomes aggressively with policy makers and program
designers. Quo Vadis R&D progress and success in such scientific
challenges without community, flexible infrastructure and interoperability?

Participation in the workshop at EBI involves no registration fee but
there are costs and places are limited - please contact me if you have
an interest in contributing to what should be a significant landmark
event for this field's progress!

Barry