[OTDev] [quixote-qcdb] Re: [BlueObelisk-discuss] Quixote project for computational chemistry and future possibilities for Blue Obelisk

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 26 19:31:44 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Barry Hardy <barry.hardy at douglasconnect.com
> wrote:

>  Hi Peter (and new Quixote project coworkers):
> Good to hear from you Peter and to connect with you again, after a too long
> gap of some years :)! If only I still had our scribbled-on lunch napkins
> from 1995, all would be clear :)!

Your mail is out of scope for the Quixote project and so we should move this
elsewhere. Also I'm not keen on discussions which involve multiple lists. I
will give a single answer here and then ask that we narrow the lists.

> I also think there is a great current opportunity to connect some of your
> work, CML, CDK, Blue Obelisk initiatives, Bioclipse etc. with the new
> OpenTox initiative and we have the possibilities to make "quite startling
> progress" in coming months.  But we must also critically link OpenTox with
> pathways, systems biology and bioinformatics too, at least for supporting
> the growing integrated service and anaylsis needs of advancing the field of
> predictive toxicology.

The Quixote list is concerned with compchem - not toxicology. It happened
that Nina commented on our requirement for RESTful servers - which was very
valuable - but the Tox was separate

> The questions we have to answer and whose answering we need to support go
> something along the lines of
> (http://opentox.org/home/documents/presentations/pathprot3presoct2010/view)
> :
>
> *What are the directions for Integrated Analysis in Predictive Toxicology
> that extend current strategies, methods and infrastructure to better include
> development and support of a combination of statistical, mechanistic and
> pathways based approaches to optimise progress in the quality and acceptance
> of alternative testing methods?
>
> How do we best leverage current knowledge and methods with regards to
> biological pathway analysis to design improved approaches to predictive
> toxicology that increase our ability to characterise the potential of
> chemicals to cause adverse human health effects and including an
> understanding of mode of action, mechanisms involved in the mode of action
> and the interaction of biological entities, pathways and networks in the
> perturbations introduced by the chemicals?*

This reads like an advertisement for the meeting and is out of scope for
Quixote.

I cannot answer for the other lists - if you have a proposal about CML then
I suggest you mail me directly.

Best

--
Peter Murray-Rust