[OTDev] Dataset API

Nina Jeliazkova jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 09:53:26 CET 2010

Dear Christoph,

On 4 November 2010 10:39, Christoph Helma <helma at in-silico.ch> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Under POST /dataset I have found the description "entries for existing
> compound/feature pairs will be overwritten, entries for new
> compound/features will be added". I guess that should be moved to PUT
> /dataset/{id} - is this correct?

I guess so.

> To replace a dataset at an existing URI I would use POST /dataset/{id} -
> shall we add that to the API?

OK

> If a dataset has been created by an algorithm or model I would add
> ot:hasSource and ot:parameters to the metadata to make dataset creation
> reproducible.

Make sense indeed.

BTW it makes sense as well to extend ot:hasSource (a better name anybody?)
to compounds/conformers as well  - would be useful to find where the
structure has been obtained from, e.g. different database, structure
optimisation/conformer generation algorithm , etc.

Also a related issue was discussed in the Substructure API wiki page - how
do we handle the case where a dataset is generated by an algorithm/model ,
but subsequently modified (by adding features, compounds) ?  Set "read only"
property for such datasets?

>  In theory I should add the same info to the features, but
> this is highly redundant and could use a lot of space for large feature
> sets (eg. from substructure mining). Would it be sufficent to specify
> the datset with ot:hasSource for each feature?

Not sure if this is sufficient, as features are independent objects and not
necessarily belong to a single dataset.