[OTDev] New validation measures for conditional density estimators

Fabian buchwald FabianBuchwald at gmx.de
Thu Nov 18 20:34:26 CET 2010

Hi Martin, All,

> Hi Fabian, All,
>
> I will extend the validation service accordingly. One thing I am
> wondering: is CDE is a special case of regression, or is it a separate
> prediction type?
>
> My question is targeted on the representation within OpenTox, rather
> within the Validation. At the moment a validation object has general
> figures (e.g. model, training_dataset, num_predicted_instances, ...).
> In case of classification it further has classification_statistics
> (e.g. confusion_matrix, area_under_roc, ...).
> In case of regression it has regression_statistics ( e.g. r_square, rmse,
> ...).

CDE is not a special case of regression but somehow related. You can do CDE only on real-valued targets/endpoints. But it is not possible to get regression quality measures like r_square or rmse.

> So if CDE is a subclass of regression, coverage and size would be
> added to the regression_statistics. (This would propably only make
> sense, if there are models that predict both, the regression target
> value as well as an interval.)
> If CDE is a seperate prediction type, I would establish a new type of
> statistics, cde_statistics.
>
> What do you think?

It is no subclass of regression. So, we need a seperate prediction type, cde_statistics sounds good to me.

Best regards,

Fabian