[OTDev] OpenSSO protected datasets

Nina Jeliazkova jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 12:40:09 CET 2011

Hi Luchesar,

On 13 January 2011 08:19, Luchesar V. ILIEV <luchesar.iliev at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 01/12/2011 14:54, Nina Jeliazkova wrote:
> > Hi Tobias,
> >
> > On 12 January 2011 14:43, Tobias Girschick <tobias.girschick at in.tum.de
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Nina,

> make

> as
> the
> >>>

> >> Well, the easier way would be to register an additional policy, but
> having
> >> just one policy for everything beneath dataset/{id}.... sounds tempting.
> >

> > Yes :)
> >

> >> But that would mean to introduce wildcards to the policies, right? And
> that
> >> is something that might complicate things, although I am not aware of
> the
> >> exact reason we have/had not to use wildcards,
> >>

> > It was decided for security reasons not to use wildcards, otherwise, one
> > could register  http://tu-muenchen.de/* once and not let the  services
> > register specific URIs upon creation, e.g.
> > http://tu-muenchen.de/model/idwhen amodel is created.
> >
> > Perhaps Andreas could comment and suggest the right behaviour.  There is
> > also subsequent question what do we do with compound URIs  that belong to
> > dataset ... do we need policies for every single URI of a compound in a
> > protected dataset ?  Wildcard policies would help a lot.
>
> Now that I think of it, are the wildcards really that evil? If we had
> just random URIs, that would indeed be the case. But it's my impression
> that, at least for most things, we have pretty well structured URIs...
>
> /{type_of_resource}[/{id}][/...]

There are only few cases with more than two levels (e.g. for datasets and
models , if I remember right).

I would say (generic) wildcards are still bad thing, because these could
allow anybody to register policy of the top level (e.g. /model ), and
effectively forbid anybody else to create models under this top level URI.

So, if we restrict the wildcard usage to the sub-{id} level of the URI,
> that would allow much simpler policies without compromising security
> (and actually even strengthening it, since it's less likely you'd miss
> to protect some elusive component of the resource).
>
> Of course this isn't quite an universal solution, but if it works for
> most (and most important) things, and if they could be easily defined so
> that we're able to apply the wildcard usage to them only, then probably
> that is the way to go. Then again, I might be missing the whole point,
> so feel free to correct me in this case.

As Andreas explained to me yesterday, it is possible to configure "allowed
wildcard paths" at the OpenSSO/policy server , which seems to solve the
issue, as the wildcards will be allowed only under certain level.

Cheers,