[OTDev] Validation: Efficiency

Nina Jeliazkova jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 11:32:14 CET 2011

Christoph, All,

> > Mapped to our services, there is a need for top level "noun"
> >
> > http://host:port/ambit2/{set_id}/{dataset_id}
> >
> > http://host:port/ambit2/dataset/{set_id}/{dataset_id}
>
> This is what I had in mind. I guess we will need a slight API
> modification to create dataset sets (e.g. POST
> http://host:port/ambit2/dataset/set to create a set, which can be the
> target of a further POST to create a dataset).
>
> I am not sure if such a solution fits well into the framework, as the
> OpenTox way to group datasets would be through ontology entries - but
> that does not reduce the number of policies.  Lets hear Martins and
> Andreas opinions first, maybe someone else has also another idea how to
> reduce the number of validation policies.

If the above will change the current pattern of /dataset/id , I am not much
of favour of it (testing compliance across all partners is very time
consuming and at this stage it is better to avoid any such changes). If only
adding new resource,  without changing the current API,  it's fine.

What about the following:

The validation service starts a validation procedure. At this point it
already knows it should split the dataset into N subsets and there will be N
more datasets, holding prediction results.  It could allocate placeholders
(empty datasets with known URIs) for all the necessary resources and create
one policy, involving all URIs (as Andreas noted one policy could have many
URIs) , then proceed with calculations.

This will require an option to tell the model where to store the results
(into the empty dataset created as above).  Such option was already
discussed before in the context of descriptor calculation (to be able to
POST/PUT results into a given dataset URI  - added as optional in the API )
. Your implementation will need to be only slightly extended, to accept POST
(or PUT is better in this case?) to a dataset, which is empty (I assume you
could easily check if a dataset is empty).  Finally, as it is only one
policy , the policy deletion issue should be resolved.

Will this work?