[OTDev] Last Minute Invitation for an online workshop for SEURAT members: "Open Data: What, Why, How?"

Roman Affentranger roman at douglasconnect.com
Mon May 9 10:04:07 CEST 2011

Dear All,

There are still a few open "seats" for the online workshop Egon Willighagen
is running today, May 9th, at 16:00 CEST. If you are interested in joining,
it is not too late yet to send an registration email to Egon Willighagen (
egon.willighagen at ki.se).

The topic of the workshop is Open Data. After explaining the concept of Open
Data and analyzing its implications we will take a close look at Open Data
in biology, and discuss how Open Data might help your own research. Find
below a more detailed description and program of the workshop, including
registration information.

Best regards,
Roman Affentranger

--
Dr. Roman Affentranger
R&D Activity Coordinator

*Open Data: What, Why, How?*

Monday May 9th 2011, 16:00 CEST, 7:00 PDT

(organized by ToxBank & Seurat DAWG)

Open Data is one approach to making data more easily re-usable including
specifications by the data creator on the terms of the type of re-use.

The goal of this interactive virtual meeting is to address misconceptions
around Open Data and to answer questions experimental biologists, chemists,
and toxicologists might have with respect to how Open Data can help their
research.

For the workshop we invited the speakers Rufus Pollock (Open Knowledge
Foundation) and John Wilbanks (Creative Commons). The workshop program is
complemented by a discussion facilitated by Barry Hardy (Douglas Connect) on
how Open Data could contribute to the success of EU FP7 projects including
OpenTox, ToxBank and SEURAT-1.

The meeting will be held online and will be organized via GoToMeeting. There
are only 25 seats, so early registration is important, as we will fill seats
on a first-come basis. However, one ‘seat’ can host multiple scientists
behind a single computer.

*Registration*
Please send an email to Egon Willighagen (egon.willighagen at ki.se)
listing your name, SEURAT-1 project, and email address. Details on how to
log in will be send to that address shortly before the meeting.

*Program*
16:00-16:05 Egon Willighagen - Why this meeting?
16:05-16:25 Rufus Pollock - Open Data: What, Why, How?
16:25-16:50 John Wilbanks - Open Biological Data
16:50-17:10 Barry Hardy - Potential  impact of Open Data on our Research
17:10-17:30 General Q&A session