[OpenTox Association] OpenTox Association Founding - the start

Barry Hardy barry.hardy at douglasconnect.com
Wed Jan 28 11:19:27 CET 2015

We have initiated this mailing list to progress the development of the
founding of the OpenTox Association. Further materials, discussion and
announcements with regards to founding will be shared to this list.

I summarise briefly here some history so far and will then send current
documentation I have prepared.

The origins of the association stem from the development of a community
around the concepts and applications associated with OpenTox. The
initial FP7 funded OpenTox project ran from 2008 - 2011 but activities
did not end with the project. Further related projects, meetings and
activities continued. However there has been a lack of organised
structure and funding for supporting activities and maintaining and
updating resources. There currently is no formal framework supporting
sustainability goals, funding or structure for decision-making or
accepting responsibility. Furthermore, there is a more general
sustainability absence from research projects in this field; as an
example, data and reference information created from projects is often
just not maintained or made available in a useful way, beyond the end of
projects. After participating in numerous such discussions over the last
couple of years, I became more convinced that it would be worthwhile to
make advances on solving such problems. As community is a key foundation
of our mental model and advances, a non-profit association appeared to
provide one useful pillar. Various discussions in recent months and
weeks confirmed significant support for the idea, and we drafted a set
of articles and had a founding discussion meeting 16 January 2015. This
meeting provided a simple result: there was a strong consensus that the
association was worth advancing, and we should work further on it, in
particular to review, discuss and complete the articles. Based on these
discussions I worked on putting in place a farily simple process for
doing this, updated the articles, and gathered and respond to comments
so far.

I will post the results, i.e., the existing materials, process, meeting
agenda etc. in my next email (s).

best regards
Barry

Barry Hardy