[OTDev] OpenTox Ontology Working Group, Meeting and Planning, tutorial sessions

Barry Hardy barry.hardy at douglasconnect.com
Fri Dec 4 11:55:26 CET 2009

Dear All:

Note: Please complete both doodle calendars in email below with regards
to virtual meeting and/or tutorial session attendance.

The subject of ontology and vocabulary has recently become more
promiment for OpenTox and in my opinion as coordinator needs
prioritisation, clarification and increased planning and activity.  This
view is accompanied by a number of observations and assertions I will
list here:
- the scope of ontology is potentially significantly broader than our
original work as defined within toxicity data management
- we need to define our current and future scope with regards to ontology
- ontology issues are increasingly mixing/arising with regards to the API
- ontology issues affect the complete OpenTox Framework Design
- we need a clearer overall design for OpenTox Ontology (i.e. beyond
that for tox data mapping with ToxML)
- we currently have not yet a coherent overall plan for an OpenTox
Ontology (although we are formulating one)
- ontology issues potentially affect all OpenTox WPs
- ontology issues affect collaborations, other projects, new intiatives etc.
- ontology development is resource intensive and collaboration-dependent
- ontology issues are relevent to the OpenTox "Scorecard Priority" of
Interoperability
- ontology potentially affects user interaction and use cases
- ontology issues potentially affect knowledge representation,
management and reasoning
- ontology issues potentially affect regulatory, quality control and
reporting activities
- there are quite a varied set of opinions on this whole field,
conceptually and application wise
- there are quite a varied set of methodologies and contexts with
regards to applications and goals
- overal there is often a lack of experience or varied experience across
numerous new domains/applications

I hence propose here that we (re)define the mission, vision, scope and
activities of the OpenTox Ontology Working Group and subsequently plan
for its member roles, work processes/workflows, activities and
initiatives for 2010.

Towards this end, I propose here that we schedule a virtual meeting of
the OpenTox Ontology Working Group during the period December 11-17.
Please complete the doodle calendar with regards to attendance at:
http://www.doodle.com/9qnmx5e2cfnibfs3
and I will susbequently circulate a message next week with agenda,
discussion topics, propositions and timing.

ALSO, the following online Ontology-related tutorial and discussion
sessions will be held next week using OpenTox virtual meeting facilities:

10.00 - 12.00 CET Wednesday 9 December
- OpenToxipedia: current status, setup, workflow process, curation
- Vocabulary Development for OpenToxipedia using Semantic Media Wiki

13.00 - 15.00  CET Thursday 10 December
- Ontology Editing & Development using Protegé

Please complete the following (second) calendar if wishing to attend:
http://www.doodle.com/ikqpt446vs5is3vt

and I will circulate a background email with instructions early next week.

Barry