[OTDev] Is OpenTox service registering into an ontology service? Which one?

Nina Jeliazkova jeliazkova.nina at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 17:09:53 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 19 October 2010 17:37, Egon Willighagen <egon.willighagen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Tobias,
>
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Tobias Girschick
> <tobias.girschick at in.tum.de> wrote:
> > I am not sure I get the whole thing. Just to clarify. If I issue a GET
> > on, e.g., TUMserver/algorithm/CDK/sparqlendpoint the result would be the
> > URI of all ontology servers the algorithm is registered with?
>
> My practical use case is the following... I know about a particular
> OpenTox API server (the REST one), but for some things I rather query
> the SPARQL end point (a ontology server?), instead of cherry picking
> via the REST interface, which would be inefficient...
>
> In particularly, it's much easier to query all all ot:Algorithm's that
> bo:instanceOf a bo:MolecularDescriptor, than iterating over all
> ot:Algorithm's returned by the /algorithm/ REST point...

We could introduce search facilities for this kind of queries directly via
the REST interface ... but this will not solve the case when the query is
over multiple servers.

> This particularly becomes significant if there are only a few ontology
> servers that cover many OpenTox API servers...
>
> So, given I know a OpenTox API server with the REST API, I would like
> to know indeed what ontology server (SPARQL end point) knows about the
> REST server... I'm happy with one SPARQL end point, but fine with a
> exhaustive list of where the REST services have been registered...
>
> So, from the ontology server it is clear what the REST servers are,
> but I like to be able to go the other way too...

I think the most difficult part will be ensuring the list, provided by the
services and the information behind sparql endpoints to be the same.

If we don't need 100% consistency all the time (after all there are broken
links all over the internet)  then the implementation might be as easy as
providing fixed URL of a preferred ontology service.

Nina